Then & Now: Historic hotels of the Illawarra | photos An undated photo of Port Kembla’s Great Eastern Hotel.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE
Nanjing Night Net

Today known as the Steelworks Hotel (pictured in 2013).CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Hotel Illawarra’s 1932 heritage-listed art deco facade has changed little over time.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Hotel Illawarra pictured in 2010.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

A Kiama coach leaving Tory’s Hotel for Bombo Railway Station in 1887. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Kiama Inn on the corner of Terralong and Shoalhaven streets (commonly referred to as Tory’s) in 2013.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Scarborough Hotel in an undated photo. The hotel dates back to 1887. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

An early photograph of Scarborough which shows Scarborough Hotel on the left, the fire station (tin shed in centre), picture theatre and Presbyterian church.

The Scarborough Hotel in 2005.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Scarborough Hotel in 2012.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

A drawing of the Denmark Hotel in about 1890. In 1896, the hotel’s name was changed to the Tourist Hotel.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

A photograph of Bulli’s Denmark Hotel taken in 1902.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Denmark Hotel/Tourist Hotel on the Princes Highway at Bulli in 2013.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Headlands Hotel, Austinmer, in 1932.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Headlands Hotel at Austinmer was put on the market in 2006.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Headlands Hotel reopened in 2016.

The Balgownie Hotel (pictured on the right) was built on the corner of Kembla Street and Balgownie Road in 1904. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Bally Hotel in 2011. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Bulli Royal Hotel in an undated photo. It later became known as Ziems Royal Hotel.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The site is now a McDonald’s restaurant.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Wollongong’s Commercial Hotel was built in 1843. This picture was taken in 1920 near the Crown and Church streets intersection.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The former David Jones building on Crown Street.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

John Joseph D’Arch and team outside D’Arcy’s Railway Hotel in 1890.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

D’Arcy Railway Hotel at Bulli stood on the eastern side of the main road, opposite the present Hobart St, and just north of the bulli Coal Company’s tramline to the jetty. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Site of D’Arcys Hotel at Bulli.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

An early photo of the Bulli Family Hotel which opened in 1889. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Bulli Family Hotel. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Bulli Heritage Hotel in 2012.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Ocean Beach Hotel has stood on the same site since 1929.

The Ocean Beach Hotel has stood on the same site since 1929.

The Queens Hotel was in Market Street facing Market Square. It became the Queens Hall Flats.

Photo of the Queens Hall Flats, in Market Street, Wollongong taken some time between 1966 and 1970.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Cabbage Tree Inn at Fairy Meadow.

The Harp Inn, where an explosion occurred in 1865 after a 40 gallon cask of rum in the cellar sprung a leak. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Lake Illawarra Hotel at Brownsville in about 1890. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The former Lake Illawarra Hotel at Brownsville, pictured in 2003, retained many of its distinctive features.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

An early photograph of Bellambi Hotel in all its Victorian splendour.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Bellambi Hotel in 2013.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Publican Robert Martin outside the Settler’s Arms Hotel, Shellharbour, which he built in 1856 and destroyed by fire in 1872.

The hotel where much social “evil” originated. Pictured is the Illawarra Steam Packet Hotel in Corrimal St, Wollongong.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The site where the Harp Hotel once stood on the corner of Crown and Corrimal streets. The building beside the Harp was the Illawarra Steam Packet Hotel.

Murray’s Paragon Hotel on Walker Street, Helensburgh.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Walker Street, Helensburgh.

The Brighton Hotel in 1900.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The corner of Cliff Rd and Harbour st Wollongong.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The corner of Tongarra Rd and Terry St, Albion Park in 1890. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

The Albion Park Hotel in 2010.

The North Wollongong Hotel.

The North Wollongong Hotel.

The grand old building of the Wollongong Hotel which stood on the north-eastern corner of Crown and Kembla Streets from the early 1900s until 1985.

An early, undated view of the Mt Keira Hotel on the Princes Hwy at Figtree.

Now called the Figtree Hotel, the ground floor is all that is left of the former Mt Keira Hotel, Princes Hwy Figtree.

The Commercial Hotel was run by Havelock Pryor.

The Jamberoo Hotel in 1958.

Jamie Warren at the Jamberoo Pub in 2007.

Built in 1887, and getting its licence in 1898, the Mt Kembla Hotel was used by miners to mourn colleagues lost in the 1902 Mt Kembla mining disaster.

A photo of Mt Kembla Hotel taken about 1900.

The Mount Kembla Hotel on Cordeaux Road.

The Commercial Hotel, Pambula, circa 1932

Tathra Hotel circa 1932.

Tathra Hotel circa 1961.

Historic photo of O’Brien’s Hotel in Narooma.

A view of Huskisson pub circa 1928.

The Palm Court Hotel at Corrimal.

The Imperial Hotel at Clifton was built in 1884 as a miners’ pub and rebuilt in 1910 by Reschs Brewery.

Clifton, with the Imperial Hotel in the background, circa 1960.

The Imperial Hotel in Clifton in 2008.

The Grand Hotel on the corner of Burelli and Keira Sts, as it looked in 1955

The Grand Hotel in 2011.

The Central Hotel, Dapto, which stood in Bong Bong Rd.

The Brighton Hotel as it appeared circa 1900. It faced Harbour St on one side, and looked over the coal-tracks to Wollongong Harbour on the other.

This Inn, which stood on the corner of Princes Hwy and Lysaght St, North Wollongong, was first licensed in 1858.

Corner of Princes Highway and Lysaght Street, North Wollongong

Albion Park’s Commercial Hotel on the north-west corner of Tongarra Rd and Terry St in 1900.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

Albion Park’s Commercial Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1954.CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ MORE

An early photo of the Harp Hotel on Corrimal Street.

The Harp Hotel in 2009.

TweetFacebookHistorical picturescourtesy of the collections ofShellharbour City Libraries,Wollongong City Library,the Illawarra Historical Society and Lost Wollongong.

Read more:Then & Now: Historic streetscapes of the IllawarraThen & Now:Historic buildings of the IllawarraThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.