A parent and child were overcome with fumes after a science fair experiment went wrong. Photo: Louie DouvisChlorine, coke and a large pot – don’t try mixing them at home, or school.
Nanjing Night Net

A child and a parent were hospitalised on Tuesday after a Science Week school fair experiment turned into a toxic, “Hazmat” incident.

About 9.30am, a parent and a child taking part in Aspendale Gardens primary school’s Science Expo were overcome with fumes after they mixed bleach with Coca-Cola.

About 300 children and parents had been taking part in the event in the school hall, with many of them carrying out experiments as others looked on.

One parent reported that the event had been largely unsupervised and that there was no proper vetting of the experiments that the children were performing.

“There was no supervision,” the parent said.

“There were 300 children who submitted their experiments in writing but nothing was ratified.

“It was basically bring your own stuff and do it.” Do you know more? Email [email protected]南京夜网419论坛

The principal of the school, in Melbourne’s south, said the incident was dealt with quickly.

“As part of one experiment a parent brought a small amount of household chlorine to school,” said Cheryle Osborne.

“When they used it in their experiment there was a small reaction and some vapour was released.”

The Country Fire Authority and Ambulance Victoria were called and the substance and the budding scientists were taken outside.

The CFA, which referred to it as a “Hazmat Incident” disposed of the mixture in about 20 minutes.

Paramedics took the child and parent to the Monash Hospital in Clayton for observation.

A second child, part of the same family, accompanied them to hospital. It took about 20 minutes for firefighters to deal with the substance.

“I have spoken with the family and they are safe and well and expected to be home again soon,” Ms Osborne said.

She said the school ensured the safety of all the children, including those close to the experiment.

The school science fair continued without an evacuation or further incident, Ms Osborne said.

Other students and parents continued with their experiments, she said.

“We love to celebrate science at our school and its a lovely event with parents assisting children with their experiments,” Ms Osborne said.

“The school is now back to normal and apart from this small incident the science fair was a success,” she said.

Day two of the school’s science fair continues on Wednesday.

One mother who was at the science fair said her first instinct was to run out of the gym because she began to feel ill from the “overwhelming” fumes.

She said there was no announcement by any teachers or staff that something had gone wrong.

“It was only after the whole thing was over that I realised that something untoward had happened.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.